Thursday, April 2, 2009

NudiEnomics

So it seems that stripping has become a lucrative career path. Yes, I mean taking off your clothes and dancing around a pole. Apparently, women impacted by this incredibly crappy economy are shaking their money-makers—literally. And, they are making huge bucks!

I found the news reports about this latest trend interesting and somewhat entertaining. White collar working women are making extra money on the side-- which in some cases can be six figures! I didn't put much more thought into this latest trend until recently when a friend mentioned she was checking out the 'adult entertainment' industry as a potential path.

At first, I thought it was a joke. But she was serious, she had already done some research. Research? Like, finding out the average salary range, the credentials required, and who’s hiring? I listened. I understood the points she made. And, then, when she said, “But, I don’t think I can do it”, I let out a sigh of relief. “I don't think you should do it,” I said.

Was I right to insert that opinion? I’ve been thinking about it a lot since that conversation. Who am I to tell another person what she can or can not do? Desperate times call for desperate measures. I guess…I don’t know. What would I do?

After much thought, I would have to say, if I were in need of money I would shy away from taking center stage as a pole dancer. Mainly because the thought of being naked in a crowd feels more like a bad dream (you know the one, you are standing in the train station or sitting in a class and realize you forgot to get dressed-- or, am I the only one that's had that dream?)The other big reason pole dancing is not in my immediate future is because I can't dance-- which I believe is a prerequisite.

So, as you can tell, I've already put some thought into this. My question to you is: How do you feel about the “from jobless to topless” trend? What would you do?

-Steph

No comments: