Saturday, March 21, 2009

Word Up

We all know what a ‘Cougar’ is by now: “A woman in her 40s on the hunt for a younger man”. But do you know what a ‘Googar’ is? “A Grandma cougar. A hot lady in her 50s or 60s that is on the prowl for a younger man.”

I got that definition straight from the Urban dictionary, an online resource for all things slang. It is filled with definitions of words and phrases-- most of which you’d never find in Webster’s-- that are informative, funny and, yes, sometimes very offensive. Overall, it’s rather entertaining.

Here are some examples of my expanding vocabulary: a ‘sargasm’ is a sarcastic exaggeration, the end-all of sarcasm, a sarcastic climax, so to speak. “Flirtexting” is the art of flirting through your Blackberry or phone, and “déjà moo” is the feeling you’ve heard this bullshit before (among other definitions, this is not a G-rated site).

I stumbled upon this site after trying to figure out what the hell “make hay while the sun shines” means. A quick Google search and I found out, but then I got ‘googledrift’ (to drift aimlessly between subjects of interest by finding them accidently on the web), and I got sucked into a new world of words.

So, I’ve just wasted an hour clicking around and laughing. But, finding new words can be fun. And laughing, I just realized, is never a waste of time!

L8r ladies (l8r: a chat expression for ‘later’).

-Steph

No comments: